- The deadline is July 31, 2022. (annual)
- Germany as a study destination
- The next course begins in September/October 2023.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance Programme provides excellent graduates from developing countries with the opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree in disciplines of special relevance to their home country’s social, political, and economic development at German institutions of higher learning.
Programmes in Participating Institutions:
The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at the following German universities:
•. Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: Social Protection
• University of Duisburg-Essen: Development and Governance
• Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Public Policy
• Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies
• Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organizations
• Universität Passau: Development Studies
• University of Passau: Governance and Public Policy (MPM)
The courses are taught in German and/or English and have an international focus.
Scholarships awarded: It is not specified.
Group to target:
Candidates from Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific, Western, Central, and South-Eastern Europe, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and the South Caucasus, and the Middle East and North Africa are eligible for the scholarship program. See the list of countries that are eligible.
Scholarship worth and inclusions:
Tuition fees are waived for DAAD scholarship holders in the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme. The DAAD currently pays a monthly scholarship rate of 931 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to German health insurance, appropriate travel allowances, a study and research subsidy, and, where applicable, rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children.
Prior to beginning their studies, all scholarship recipients will receive a 6-month German language course. Participation is required.
Graduates from developing countries (bachelor’s degree or higher):
• possessing a well-qualified first university degree in the fields of social and political sciences, law, economics, public policy, and administration; and • eager to actively contribute to the social, political, and economic development of their home countries/regions.
• who have prior relevant practical experience (professional experience, internships, political/social commitment)
The requirements for language skills and language certificates differ depending on the master’s course. In addition to the DAAD’s selection criteria, all master’s courses have their own selection criteria (degree, grades, language skills, work experience, etc.).
Instructions for use:
Please send your applications for the selected master’s courses and the DAAD scholarship to the universities listed below (not to DAAD). You must specify that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance). The application period for all eight universities runs from June 1 to July 31, 2022.
It is critical to read the 2023 Announcement and visit the official website (links provided below) in order to access the application form and for more information on how to apply for this scholarship.